Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Frame purses

I have been thinking of making frame purse after inspired by pictures and the sewing group I join in Facebook.  I looked through the various tutorials and videos online but still do not have the confident of doing one.  During my recent visit to Ipoh early this month, I was so excited to find this frame in one of the Daiso chain stores.  It only costs RM5.  It comes with a complete manual, just what I need.  



Purse frame from Daiso


Manual page 1
Manual page 2




I traced the pattern from the manual and made a template out of cardboard.  Then  I cut the fabric using the template, 2 for the outer layer (floral) and another 2 for the lining (polka dots).
I used a thin batting as the interfacing for the outer layer and a thin interfacing for the lining.  I did some free motion quilting on the outer fabric.
Then I sew according to the instruction.
The scariest part is to insert and fix the frame onto the sewn fabric.  I just used UHU glue.   I started with one side and after it dried, then I did the other one.  After completing them, I find it is not as difficult as I thought.  It is even easier than sewing zipper.
So sorry I didn't manage to snap pictures for the whole process as I was too excited to finish the whole thing.
The finished product:-)
I decided to sew a coin pouch and a stationery pouch with the remaining fabric.


A family of pouches


The inside.

Then I was a bit more confident.  I tried out with a combination of cotton and denim.  I came out with two designs- The flower and The Lace and Buttons.  I used a thick stabilizer as interfacing instead of batting as the denim fabric is stiff.  It turn out to be just nice - sturdy and not flimsy.



Denim with flower applique frame purse
Denim and buttons frame purse

No comments:

Post a Comment