Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sling bags


 I recovered one of my old bags in my closet and decided to use it during the recent school holidays.  It was a sling bag and I found it is so convenient especially with children.  I used it for marketing, go on errands, travelling etc.  The only thing is that it looks a bit casual and old.

Nevertheless this inspires me to make my own sling bags from all my available fabrics.  After experimenting with two sling bags, I finally improvise the size and my techniques.   I come out with a design which is 9 inches wide, 10 inches tall and 1.5 inches deep.  The bag comes with a  front pocket with magnetic snap button, recessed zipper for the main inner compartment and also a small pocket on the inner compartment.  The sling is cotton webbing measuring around 45 - 50 inches and not adjustable.  The body of the bag is made with various combination of cotton fabric available.  I feel accomplished after completing all of them and quite satisfied with them.  I even name each of them.
Summer Red


Winter black and white



Spring purple

Autmn brown
Next, I used with denim fabrics and decorated them with fancy pockets.  The sling is made using the same denim fabric instead of cotton webbing.  I hand sew some flowers and beads to 2 of the bags.  These denim bags come with zipper pockets at the back. At first,  I was quite reluctant to do this as it looks difficult and troublesome.  However after some encouragement from a friend (who also sew bags) and the help from You Tube, I decided to try.  The zipper pocket turns out not bad :-)
Denim with pink

Denim with blue stripes
Simple denim


For improvement, I think I will make it slightly bigger so that at least I can put in IPad mini or small water bottle.  I will add in the zipper pockets at the back..  As for the slings, I will make it adjustable by attaching the necessary rings or parts.  To be more durable, the fabric used should be thicker such as jeans or canvas.  Well these are just my reflections and hopefully I can improve in future.


2 comments:

  1. Love your sling bag. Do you have a pattern or tutorial available for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont have pattern or tutorial for it at the moment but i have all the measurements. Just give me your email address.

      Delete