Monday, February 22, 2016

From rags to bags

Last year, a friend of mine approached me to make a denim bag with rugged feminine style.  A bag that highlight the pocket and belt loops details and allows the freedom for her to decorate and express her style.  By the way,she is an artistic person who teaches visual arts in school.  I felt a bit intimidated by her expectation because of my own limitation.  I know it will be difficult of sew denim fabric with my sewing machine and with all the details. 

So I ended by suggesting to  her to convert old jeans into bags.  She was excited by the idea and brought her 3 worn out jeans for me to work on.  I was also very excited to get started as this is something new to me.   I started to google and look into a few you tube videos.  I find the video by Izzy MEIMsaab from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0O15z01TE is very helpful.  It is a two parts  step by step video on how to convert a pair of jeans into bag and line it.

I managed to convert 2 pairs of her jeans ( I forgotten to take pictures of the jeans before I cut them).  She wants the embroidered designs as well as the pockets  to be part of the bags.  So the measurements of the bags is totally dependent of the embroidery and the pockets of both jeans.  



 This is the first bag.  Not much is done as it is decorated by embroidery, with pockets and belt loops.  I used magnetic snap button for the bag closure

The second bag is a bit challenging.  It does not have belt loops, the pocket is oversized and the embroidery is scattered.  The bag looks empty without much details.  I decided to put two bronze buttons for the rugged look.  As for the rest of it I got to discuss the decoration with my friend over phone, snapping photos and comparing on which is the best design.  I placed different types of lace  as well as charms in chain and she decides based on her preference .


Finally she made up her mind and we come out with the final design!  The absence of belt loops makes it possible for me to sew the zipper as the closure.




I am very glad that she likes both of them.  The 3rd pair of jeans is still untouched.  I am waiting for the right moment and mood to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment